From the American Public Transportation Association (APTA)
Did you KNOW?
· Every $1 billion invested in public transportation supports and creates 50,000 jobs.
· Public Transportation is a $68 billion industry that employs more than 400,000 people.
· A household can save almost $10,000 a year by taking public transportation and living with one less car.
· Every $1 invested in public transportation generates $4 in economic returns.
· Traveling by public transportation is 10 times safer per mile than traveling by automobile.
· Public transportation provides personal mobility and freedom for people of every walk of life.
· Of all public transportation riders, 71% are employed workers and 7% are students.
· More than two-thirds of public transit users walk to their stop or station, providing broad health benefits.
· Using public transportation saves the U.S. 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually.
· Coming out of the recession, properties located in public transit sheds performed 42% better than the region as a whole.
· Communities that invest in public transit reduce U.S. carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually.
· Where public transportation goes, Community Grows.